Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Just a little bit about a couple things today. Wife and I were talking last night about our preps and what we are up to in general and we came to the realization we are just kind of bumbling thru everything with no set plan. We both know what we want to get done but we haven't sat down and put a plan together. That’s a big no-no with me so this week we will be getting together an actual list of preps and putting together a plan so we get things done in the preferred order instead of just oh oh lets do this next…. I’ll keep you posted about what we get done.
Now I purchased a couple rifles last week. Wife and I did a lot of talking about what we wanted as neither of us has hunted before and I am the only one with any actual face time with any weapons. I’m an expert marksman with an m-16 and I can (well I used to be able to) break down an m240G machine gun in under a min, but both of those are hard to find.
I needed a 22 or similar rifle to use around the farm to put down pigs sheep goats and anything else we end up with around here that needs eaten. The both of us wanted to get our hunting licenses this year as well so we would need a rifle that can be used for that propose as well. I already own a 30-30 Winchester that was my grandfathers hunting rifle. So something in the same caliber would limit the ammo purchases.
Now I’m sure that I will hear differently from people who know better than me as I am by no means a “gun guy”, but I think I found the perfect fit.
For my around the farm utility rifle I settled on a Rossi .223 breach loading varmint rifle. It only holds one round at a time but that’s all I will need as it will only be used for putting farm animals down and ridding my garden of squirrels and such. I was also lead to believe, please let me know if I’m wrong but .223 it the same as the NATO 5.56mm so if necessary I can use gov ammo……
For the other rifle I wanted something that I can use to take down deer and possible black bear if necessary (that’s a whole other story). Since I already own a Winchester lever action 30-30 I wanted something in the same caliber. Again I did a little research and settled on the marlin w336 30 caliber lever action rifle. I live in a very wooded area so shot of 200+ yards are very rare and from what I have read this is the rifle to have. And again I’m fairly certain that the .30 caliber is the same as the 7.62 NATO round so again the two most popular rounds of ammunition can be used in my rifles.
They are both utility rifles that can pack a punch if necessary, duel purpose is my goal for everything and I think I found the perfect match this time. ANY advice on these, the interchangeability of the rounds on these rifles or any other advice is greatly appreciated.
The other thing we decided was to revert the cellar back into a root cellar and put the stairs back in to the basement so we no longer have to go outside to get down there to get food.
Just remember you may be crazy or you may be right but either way be prepared

3 comments:

  1. Those sound like good ideas. I'm not really a 'gun person' either, but something that uses common (military) ammo makes sense. Shy Wolf may have some answers for you.
    I agree that it is important to have a "priority list" of preps. That way it is much easier to focus your resources on what is most vital.
    Sorry to hear about your hen.:( How cold was it outside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been in the low single digits and below freezing for over a month here, and just this last week it has warmed up to the 30's. It may have been just the prolonged stress of the cold that did it I didn't think of that thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the .223, yes, the military ammo can be fired from civilian weapons, but the reverse is not so: civilian ammo is loaded with higher charges and may cause problems (re: blown recievers) in military arms.
    The 7.62 is ditto. The nice thing about 7.62 is that it is a .308 caliber so reloading supplies can be kept pretty simple: 30-30, 7.62/.308, 30-06 all use the same bullet, though lever guns shouldn't use the pointy kind (except the new soft-tip PSP). My thinking is the 30-30 will be excellent for hunting anything smaller than grizzly bears- though many have undoubtedly fallen to the 30-30 quite often.
    However, the 30-30 is a fine weapon, even for SHTF combat type situations. It may not fire as many rounds as an M-16 at one sitting, but it's accurate at distance with more knock down power.
    The .223 Rossi is a nice little rifle (my son has one in .243) and is legal in MN for deer hunting, though IMO a bit on the light side for deer, it will kill them with accurate (sniped) shots. So in keeping with the Mayberry principle (KISS), you'll do well with the .223 and 30-30. Well- don't plan on joining a militia with them as basic weapons, but great for what we want them. My opinion, anyway. The expression is that this is a 'come as you are' depression, and 'the first thing to know about a gunfight is "bring a gun"'. That about settles the problem of decisions.
    Shy (smells a post coming on. LOL)

    ReplyDelete